Sunday, June 2, 2019

Strawberry Cereal Bars

I've been doing a lot of learning lately and I'm in this "Know Better, Do Better" mindset.  Which brings me to cereal bars at the store....what types of ingredients are in those things to make them shelf stable??? Probably not the best for us...not to mention the individual packaging which is anything but sustainable.  My kids love these bars so I wanted something better for them, I took to the google and looked at many recipes to form my own #yourewelcome



Y'all I cannot even tell you how yummy these are!! SO so good and way better for you too.  We're making the switch to organic over here, which is a long process but what you eat is what you are.  
* Did you know that crops that are sprayed with Roundup or other pesticides soak it up and they become part of the produce you're eating 💀💀💀 I don't know about you but my family's health and well being is worth the extra $$ to eat organic.


Here's What You Do:

Ingredients

1 cup organic flour
1 cup organic whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces

Filling Ingredients

1 cup frozen strawberries
2 Tbsp organic sugar
1 tsp water




Directions 

Preheat oven to 350

1. In a food processor pulse oats into a coarse flour. Add in the other two flours, salt, and baking powder and pulse to combine.





2. In a separate measuring cup whisk together egg, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon bark vitality.


3. To the food processor add in butter and honey mixture and pulse to combine.  Dump out onto counter and divide into two.  Form into disks, cover in plastic wrap, and put in the fridge for an hour.




meanwhile 

4. In a saucepan on medium-low heat, bring water, frozen strawberries, and sugar to a low boil.  Simmer until reduced in half (jam like consistency), then set aside to cool.



5. Bring dough out and roll into a rectangle on parchment paper.  It's pretty crumbly so it takes some work to keep it together, but it's worth it.  Pour half of the Strawberry Filling down the center of the dough and fold over in thirds. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes.





6. Let cool and cut into bars.  Keep in a glass container in the fridge for 5 days (if they last that long).





If you make these, please let me know how they turn out!

♥ Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley