Never the less, since this is the First Sunday of the Month, I have no excuses so today I made soup for dinner. And that soup is Pumpkin Soup, I have to say it was pretty good and I gather I would be interested in making it again. I did make some changes to the recipe. I did not add any maple syrup and I added cayenne pepper to make it a little spicy. It did take A LOT of salt to bring it to the right seasoning.
If you are interested here is the recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens.
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 15-oz. cans pumpkin
- 1 32-oz. box reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Recipe Spiced Croutons, recipe below
- Celery leaves (optional)
Directions1. In large saucepan cook carrots in hot butter over medium heat for 2 minutes; add onion, celery, and garlic. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Stir in pumpkin, broth, half-and-half, water, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice. Heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
3. To serve, top soup with Spiced Croutons and celery leaves. Makes 8 side-dish servings.
Spiced Croutons:In bowl toss 3 cups 1-inch bread cubes with 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice. In large skillet cook bread cubes in 2 tablespoons hot butter 8 minutes or until toasted, turning occasionally.
- Servings Per Recipe 8 side-dish servings
- Total Fat (g)9,
- Saturated Fat (g)5,
- Monounsaturated Fat (g)2,
- Polyunsaturated Fat (g)1,
- Cholesterol (mg)21,
- Sodium (mg)590,
- Carbohydrate (g)28,
- Total Sugar (g)11,
- Fiber (g)4,
- Protein (g)5,
- Vitamin C (DV%)12,
- Calcium (DV%)9,
- Iron (DV%)14,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Not only did I make soup today but Thomas and I went shopping at Ikea (love that place) and got a new coffee table. It is a large rectangle that is a dark wood color and it is perfect.
I also had a problem sleeping last night, I woke up at 2:00am or was it 3:00am - who knows with the time change - and could not fall back asleep. I tried laying with my eyes closed counting backwards from 100 which usually works, nope, then I tried reading, got through two chapters and only 2 left, nope so UP I was for the day and still going strong. I did have a 10 minute period during church this morning where it felt good to close my eyes but I am pretty sure I was awake the whole time. Hopefully I will get to sleep tonight, since I have to go back to work.