Tuesday, January 15, 2013

[recipe] White Chicken Enchiladas


As I have mentioned on here before, New Years Day is enchilada day at our house, I love it because it keeps me in the kitchen while the games are going on (yes I would rather be in the kitchen than watching the games on tv - guilty!)

I usually make my momala's recipe but thought I would change it up a bit and tried a new recipe (we actually had three different types on enchiladas; my momala's, these, and my MIL's), I was hoping to try out a white chicken recipe and thought I would just take a look through some of those cookbooks I have sitting on the shelf and came across a recipe from The Pioneer Woman.  These were delicious but oh so time consuming.
For some reason I cannot find the recipe in the book online so I will do my best from memory and then change it once I get home and can actually look at the book.

Ingredients:
3 Bell Peppers (green, yellow, orange)
2 Serrano chiles
2 jalepenos
1 onion
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
sour cream
chicken broth
butter
flour
salt & pepper
spices
3 1/2 cups Jack Cheese - shredded
tortillas

Directions:
1. Over the flame of a gas burner, on the BBQ or in the Broiler scald and blacken the Bell Peppers and Serrano Chiles, then place into a large plastic bag and let sweat/steam for 30 minutes.  Then take off the skin and dice, set aside
2. Dice up the raw onion and jalepenos and then saute in 1 T oil over medium heat until softened.  Add in the half of the diced peppers and chiles.
3. Add in the butter to melt then the flour stir to combine and cook the flour for 1 minute.  Then add in the chicken broth and sauce should thicken.  Add in the sour cream and 1 1/2 cups Jack Cheese.
4. With the shredded chicken add in the remaining half of peppers and chiles and 1 cup of Jack Cheese.
5.  Heat up the tortillas and prepare baking dish with cooking spray.  Assemble the enchiladas with a bit of the chicken mixture in a tortilla and then wrap up and place in baking dish.
6. Once all the enchiladas are assembled pour over the cream sauce, top with remaining cheese and bake in a 350 oven for about 35 minutes or until bubbling.
7. Serve with additional sour cream, cilantro, guacamole, and any other toppings you like.

Linked to Tasty Tuesdays

enjoy!

♥ Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley