Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Wheat Germ Pancakes

I've been making pancakes from scratch for years and the recipe actually comes from my mom.  They are hands down the best pancakes you've ever had and honestly that is the truth.  Admittedly I'm kind of a snob when it comes to pancakes and nothing compares to my mom's original recipe...until now!



I've had a love affair with Wheat Germ for a few years now and have learned how to incorporate it into some of my favorite baked goods over the past year.  If you've never had wheat germ before it adds a great crunch to your food and a slight nutty flavor, I just love it and want to put it in everything, I actually have a few recipes I want to share that incorporates this fabulous ingredient but I'll just stick with the pancakes for today.

I wasn't really sure if there was any way that I could improve upon my mom's recipe because it literally is perfection...but I did.

Here's what you're going to need:


1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tablespoon oil
Milk to consistency (about 1 cup)
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)

Here's what you're going to do:


Mix all the dry ingredients together then add in your egg, oil and a little milk at a time until it gets smooth but still has structure.  Set aside for 10 minutes.  The whole wheat flour and wheat germ really absorb the liquid so you'll need to add a little more milk to thin out the mixture (add in the chocolate chips if using).  

Meanwhile over medium low heat, heat up some oil and then spoon in your mixture into the pan.  Watch carefully as the wheat germ has a tendency to burn, and when you see little bubbles forming in the center of the cakes flip over (about 2 minutes).  Cook on the other side for about 1 minute and then serve.



They really couldn't be any easier and everyone in our household approves.  I love the crispy edges of the pancakes paired with crunch of the wheat germ and they're healthier for you too.  These are so good just by themselves but are also great with chocolate chips or some butter and syrup.



Let me know if you make them, I'd love to hear how much you love them too!!


♥ Ashley 

2 comments:

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley