Friday, November 9, 2018

Six Simple Switches to a Healthier Home

Y'all this post has been on my heart for a while and I'm so happy that I have finally collected my thoughts to be able to share with you.  We only have one Earth and we only have one life.  We all want to make the most of it, to cherish it, and to make the world a better place.  Sometimes the items we bring in our home are doing more harm than good, so lets change that!



While attending University I began to learn about conservation (recycling, composting, multi-use products) and creating a healthy environment to live in.  I'm not gonna lie, old habits die hard and I am still fighting them nearly 15 years later.  There have been a handful of switches I've made that have been easy and seamless and I'm here to share them with you today!

So without getting too deep or on my Soapbox here are 
Six Simple Switches you can make to have a Healthier Home!!

As a wife and mama, I am given the job as the gatekeeper to our home.  Sure it's self appointed but since I like to be in control of things...I gladly accept.  This isn't an easy position by any means and I have made my fair share of mistakes.  That's okay, the important thing is, I'm learning and trying to create a home that is healthy for my family and reducing their chemical and toxic exposure to the best of my abilities.

         

       

1. Glass Food Storage is one of the best switches you can make in your kitchen.  I don't think you need me to tell you how bad plastic can be and that it can leach into your food, especially if you're heating your food up in the microwave in plastic containers.  While making the switch initially can be an investment you're doing something so much better for the health of your family and these glass products are going to last so much longer they end up being cheaper in the long run.  I got mine at Costco nearly 6 years ago and they are still going strong!   Now that our girls are older and eating leftovers I can rest easy knowing that no gross plastics are leaching into their food. I also use old jam jars and mason jars to store our food in the fridge and freezer.  I decant our cereals and dried goods into glass and stainless steel containers as well in our pantry, so not only does it look nicer it's healthier for us too!



2. Wool Dryer Balls have made all the difference in our laundry room.  I switched over to these a few years ago after I read a couple articles about how toxic dryer sheets are.  Aside from our bed we spend a majority of our lives in our clothes (or at least I hope so 😉) which means that what ever is on our clothes gets absorbed by our skin, Eww.  With the wool dryer balls you're reducing your drying time because the balls are bouncing around making better air pockets for your clothes and help to take in some of the excess moisture.  They also help to soften your clothes so you don't have to use the yucky fabric softeners in your washing machine.  If static is an issue you can attach a safety pin to one (or all) of your dryer balls.  If your missing out on the fresh clean scent your accustomed to, use a couple drops of Young Living Essential Oil (lemongrass is a favorite) on your dryer balls and enjoy a fresh scent that is only benefiting your health!! (not to mention they are reusable and you'll no longer be trashing those dryer sheets every load, thus reducing your amount of waste that goes into our landfills.)



3. Thieves Line is probably my favorite switch I have made.  I started making the switch this summer and it is the best thing I have done.  There is a whole set of cleaning products that are plant based, chemical and toxin free, and they are infused with the powerful Thieves essential oil blend.  Just one bottle of the Thieve Household Cleaner will replace all of your cleaning products underneath your sink (or your cleaning tote - wherever that is stored), it is a magical cleaner that I use to clean all the surfaces in my house from my countertops, windows, antique wooden dining room table, tv screens, bathroom sinks, showers, and the toilets!  It's safe for my kids to use and I don't have to hold my breath when using it (or wear rubber gloves).  Also in the Thieves Line is laundry detergent, dish soap, foaming hand soap, and waterless hand purifier.  All of these products are free of toxins and chemicals and are infused with the Thieves essential oil blend!!  Plus these products are super concentrated so you can dilute them and really get your money's worth out of them.

4. Stainless Steel Cookware makes a huge difference in the food that you're preparing.  The non-stick coating on pots and pans releases harmful chemicals that affect both your air quality (you're breathing it into your lungs) and the food you're preparing.  Switching over to stainless steel takes a bit of an adjustment (and I still have a few non-stick pans I need to get rid of) since they tend to get hotter faster and do require a bit more elbow grease when cleaning if you let them sit too long.  I don't really enjoy hand washing my dishes but giving an extra scrub in the sink before putting them into the dishwasher is totally worth it when I think about how I am supporting the health of my family.



5. Cast Iron Cookware is another option.  I have one skillet, the hoarder in me wants more but the minimalist says one is enough.  I have to say though, that this is my favorite pan to cook in.  I love that it can go from stove top to the oven, that it is seasoned enough now that I don't have to use an obscene amount of oil/butter to make it nonstick, and I just love how my food cooks in it. It doesn't give off any toxins or chemicals when you heat it up and once you learn how to care for cast iron, it becomes the easiest pans to have and clean!!  We use it for searing steaks, baking cornbread, and frying eggs.  This pan does it all and they come in multiple sizes which is why I want another.



6. Thieves Aromabright Toothpaste is by far the best toothpaste I have ever used.  Three years ago, when I was deep in my war against Infertility, I read about the awful affects of flouride.  Thankfully our water company does not supplement our water with flouride so I didn't have to worry about getting any excess that way.  Toothpaste was another story, I went on a mission to get that out of my home and was so disappointed because my local grocery store only had ONE option!! One, just one.  So since that was all I could get that is what I got and let me tell you...I was not impressed.  I didn't care for the flavor (and three years later it still never grew on me) and didn't get that bright toothed clean mouth feeling.  Then I gave Thieves Toothpaste a try and instantly felt a difference.  This toothpaste is so good that even Ellie enjoys it!!  My teeth look brighter and whiter than ever, my mouth feels clean, and I know that my overall wellness is being supported with extra Thieves!!




If you want to get in on the Thieves I would love to help a Mama out!! Young Living actually has a Thieves Starter Kit where you get most of the Thieves goodies for  chemical and toxin free home cleaning! You'll get all the benefits of a regular Premium Starter Kit: access to our online community, wholesale membership, access to Essential Rewards, Me to hold your hand, and free stuff.  There is no obligation to sell, EVER!! You don't have to unless you want to.  Bringing these products into your home is going to be life changing.  Ready to get started? use my referral link here and begin your journey above the wellness line!!

♥ Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Glass storage dishes are a big item that I need to get into. I think I need to make that a solid goal for the knew Year!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley