Today I made Chicken Tortilla Soup from the Everyday Food magazine by Martha Stewart. Due to my time commitment I didn't make the WHOLE recipe, meaning that I didn't make the Chicken Soup Base. It was a pretty good soup. I would be interested in trying a different Tortilla Soup next time to see the difference. Changes/Additions I made are in Orange font. We served our soup with rolls.
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with liquid (from a 15-ounce can)
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- Chicken Soup Base (10 cups broth and 4 cups shredded chicken)
- 3 boxes of Free Range Chicken Broth equals about 12 cups
- 1 roasted chicken cut into pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced I used about 3 avocados
- 2 ounces cotija cheese, crumbled (1/3 cup)/ Shredded Cheddar and Jack Cheese
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can corn, rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced (did not use)
- Lime wedges, for serving (did not use)
- Tappatio hot sauce, for serving
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Sour Cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes and liquid, and chili powder and cook until most of liquid is evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil; season with salt and pepper.
- Add beans, corn, and cayenne pepper. I also added the chicken at this point.
- Meanwhile, on a rimmed baking sheet, toss tortilla strips with 2 teaspoons oil. Bake until crisp and golden, 8 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Divide chicken, avocado, cheese, cilantro, and scallion among six bowls; top with broth and tortilla strips. Serve with lime wedges and Sour Cream.