Friday, January 20, 2012

January Snow

What a week we have had here on the farm and in the Northwest! Saturday we awoke to snow!! I have been dreading the weather forecast because I would really like to have those 3 day weekends in February and May (where we have our built in snow days) AND I really like the date that my school district chose for the last day of School. Everybody knows that you have to make up snow days and if you can't fit them into the school year then you have to add on days at the end of the year...BOOOO!! Luckily we had a 3 day weekend with the celebration and memory of Martin Luther King JR Day and the melting of snow. But then the snow started falling again on Tuesday. We were lucky enough to have a 2 hour delay...now THOSE I will NOT complain about. Give me as many 2 hour delays as you like just as long as we don't have to make up snow days. I was fortunate to get a substitute job on Tuesday, but since the snow kept falling they decided to cancel school on Wednesday....I lost my sub job that day and WILL NOT get paid for it!! BUMMER!! But safety first. With the addition of like 8 inches of snow I finally got into this whole "Snow Day Thing" and was then hoping for the rest of the week off, since I work on Thursday and Friday anyway, I will still get paid!

The snow was fun. Our power went out and we spent the night at Thomas's parents warm powered house. And in the morning all the snow had frozen to ICE. Meaning that we had an ICE STORM on our hands people. I will admit that the tree branches look so cool with an inch of ice surrounding them...but all that weight takes a toll on those poor trees and plants. After a few hours we got up the nerve to drive home, since we found out our power was back on. Shortly after we left, transformers were blowing left and right, trees were cracking and falling, and then a phone call from Deanna (the MIL) 3 trees in their front yard came down and the neighbors were over with the chainsaw. I felt terrible, then got nervous about some of our trees. When we arrived home all looked well. The snowball trees were laden with ice, I got into the house and looked out the back things were good....until I noticed the GIANT branch on our patio. Our beloved Maple had lost a quarter of its volume due to the ice!! Thomas and I immediately got to work with shovels hitting the ice off the Maple, Dogwood, Lilacs and Redbud trees in our back yard. Then out to the front to help out my dear little Birthday Birch trees in the front as well as the Snowball trees.

Now I sit here with the temperature rising and watching chunks of ice falling off the snowballs, and the ice dripping off the branches. Not all of this winter storm was terrible. Sakari our beautiful Husky LOVES the snow!! She was having a ball everyday (until the ice storm) running around out in the COLD SNOW!! She only wanted to come into the house to get a drink of water and then back out she wanted to go! Cooper too enjoyed the snow, hopping like a bunny to stay on top of the snow since it went almost to his neck in places. Enjoy the snow.


I am thinking of changing the name of my blog: "Life On The Farm" or "Life on the Parsons
Farm" let me know what you think in the comments section!


♥ Ashley














Feeding Time!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley