Quite a few weeks ago I had some applesauce that needed to get used. I was going to make applesauce cupcakes but was inspired by this recipe to make muffins!! And let me tell you I am so glad I did.
I wanted to change up the recipe just a bit because I wanted to include some other ingredients mainly some oatmeal because of the dietary benefits. I considered some other recipes but most of the applesauce recipes I could find were for cupcakes rather than muffins so I had to adapt the recipe.
Here is what I did:
1 c softened butter
2 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 c applesauce
3 c all purpose flour
1 c oatmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
Preheat oven to 350°
1. In a stand mixer cream together the butter and sugar
2. Mix in the eggs (one at a time) with the vanilla
3. Add in the applesauce
4. Combine the dry ingredients and then slowly add into the wet mixture until just combined
5. Evenly distribute batter into lined muffin tins (about 24)
6. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
While the muffins are cooling for 5 minutes make a cinnamon sugar mixture (1/2 c sugar & 2 T cinnamon) then dip the tops of the muffins in the Cinnamon Sugar. YUMMM!!
These were so good and I can't wait to make them again. I think I will use some whole wheat flour next time and see how the texture turns out.