Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Toddler Tuesday - cloth diapers

It's Tuesday! Which is a good thing because it means that Monday is over and we are on our way to the weekend!

Life on the Parsons Farm

Today I wanted to talk to you about our cloth diapering experience. Granted we just started but I am loving it so far. 



Why cloth diapers? This is a question I hear a lot (and have asked a bunch too!). There are a number of reasons why I am drawn to cloth diapers. 
• one reason is that I wanted to do at least one "natural" thing with Ellie since I wasn't pregnant with her nor able to breast feed. 
• I have always been fairly environmentally conscious. And the amount of diaper waste is incredible. I want to do my part to help diminish as much as possible. 
•Not to mention all the chemicals that are in disposables that are used for absorbency and what not. Cloth diapers are a much more natural option. 
• yes the start up of cloth diapers can be expensive but when you calculate how much you spend over the course of a year of disposable diapers it's really not that bad. 
• and then the cloth diapers are so different now than they used to be and are quite the fashion statement. 

Those are a few of the reasons why I'm choosing to cloth diaper. I wanted to cloth diaper last year but when I went back to work and we had a nanny she didn't seem to excited about the idea, so now that I get to be with Ellie everyday I figured now was the time. 

I got most of Ellie's diapers and inserts from a big consignment sale in our area a couple of weeks ago, picked up a couple from my sister (who is not going to cd) and then the rest from offer up (like craigslist). So we have a total of 19. I also have two wet bags (a large one and a small travel one) and got an extra diaper genie to keep them in. We still need to get a sprayer but so far we are doing good!



We were all set to start cd last week but then Ellie had a run in with some olives which resulted in a nasty diaper rash and since you can't use diaper creams on cloth diapers we had to continue with disposables. It got all cleared up by Sunday so we were able to start then. Good thing too because we ran out of disposables. So far we have been pretty lucky with no leaks or blow outs. I have been using a double insert just in case. I have to admit I cannot wait to get a diaper sprayer because poops are my least favorite in cd, but with cloth diapering you win some you lose some. 



I am a little more cautious with how often I am changing the diapers and we could probably go down to just one insert for the majority of the day or let her stay in one a little longer.  But I'm still learning.  So far I'm loving it. I know it's only been about 3 days but I think this is going pretty good and it's way less daunting than I thought it would be!

As we are just beginning this journey I will be sure to update y'all on how it's going! Any cloth diapering mamas out there who want to share your tips? I'd love to learn about what you know!!

I just love this series and I hope you do too! If you have a toddler and want to share what your life is like or what you have learned I would LOVE to have you write a guest post!! Just leave me a comment or send me an email and I will get you on the calendar!!

♥ Ashley

3 comments:

  1. we switched to cloth diapers when palmer was 6 months old. we had a healthy number of diapers, but what i struggled with was the amount of laundry. we only clothed part time, and i still will use cloth if we are home all day.

    what brand are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley - Your little girl is so cute! How do you handle the cuteness?! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can always try coconut oil as a rash cream for cloth. And have you looked into flush-able liners to help make poops less of a hassle?

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley