Monday, March 19, 2012

[recipe] St. Patty's Day Feast 2012

Yesterday I had a St. Patty's Day celebration feast. Since St. Pat's Day is so big in my family (ok maybe just me -- cuz its my Birthday) I like to try to do something for it. This year I decided that I want to start having an annual St. Patrick's Day Party. I think it sounds fun! On the menu this year was Irish Lamb Stew, Irish Soda Bread and Salad. We also had a delicious chocolate cake made by Deanna (MIL). Both of my Irish recipes were adapted from Martha Stewart. The Bread was amazing though a little sweet...maybe not use quite as much sugar? The Lamb Stew was divine! I used Guiness Black Lager for the beer it gave nice flavor. You will see my adaptations/changes in green font.
via


Irish Lamb Stew

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 3 pounds boneless lamb stew meat (preferably shoulder), trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch cubes [I used leg of lamb]
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried [fresh] thyme
  • 1 1/2 cups dark beer (one bottle)
  • 1 1/2 pounds medium new potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut 1/2 inch thick diagonally
  • 1/2 pound celery, cut 1/2 inch thick diagonally
  • 1 pound mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
  • 1/2 Knorr Beef Bouillon cube
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge lamb in flour mixture, shaking off excess. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Working in batches, brown lamb on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate.
  2. Pour 1/4 cup water into pot, scraping up browned bits from bottom with a wooden spoon. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until water has evaporated and onion is beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Return lamb to pot; stir in thyme, beer, and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover; simmer until lamb is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  3. Add potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, celery, bouillon and 1/2 cup water. Cook, covered, until vegetables are tender and stew has thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool completely before storing. Stir in parsley just before serving.

Irish Soda Bread

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan (Kerry Gold)
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup raisins *optional
  • 2 tablespoons caraway seeds *optional
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a baking sheet. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, raisins (if using), caraway seeds (if using), baking soda, salt, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs, and 2 tablespoons butter. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients to form a dough.
  2. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth, about 4 minutes; add more flour as needed to prevent sticking. Form dough into a 9-inch round; place on prepared baking sheet. Brush loaf with remaining tablespoon butter. Using a sharp knife, score an X on top of loaf.
  3. Bake until skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool on wire rack before serving.
All in all I would say that the dinner was a success and I am looking forward to having an even bigger/better party next year!! If you wanna come..clear your calendar cuz it will be on Saturday March 16th!! (can't have it ON my birthday as I already have a tradition of going somewhere else for that....) To see my decorations for St. Pats in my house click HERE. My apologies for not taking any pictures...I am a bad blogger.

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley