Our house was perfect when we bought it. It met our needs: 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, large kitchen/great room, enough property for our horses and it was in our price range.
Since living in our home for 6 years we have made some improvements. We have painted nearly every wall (minus closets and the laundry room) made some lighting updates and changed the floors in the kitchen and guest bathroom. We have also replaced the interior doors to suit my liking and are in the process of painting all the woodwork white. In addition we painted our kitchen cabinets. We also recently did a makeover of our guest bathroom and it's one of my favorite rooms in the house!
We have also done an overhaul on the yard. We have fenced and cross fenced nearly the whole property, tore out over 35 juniper bushes to make way for a front lawn and flower bed and planted a veg garden, berry patch, and fruit orchard. Additionally we have added a barn for the goats, a barn for the chickens and a barn for the horses.
We really have made some great strides on our home and have made it work for us so far.
With that being said, I have learned a lot about what I like, dislike, prefer and want/need in a house. The one we are living in just isn't fitting the bill (but will work for now).
I have a long list of things I would like our next house to have. Now some of these things I am totally willing to do in the house.
- at least 5 bedrooms (master, 3 childrens rooms and a guest room)
- at least 2.5 bathrooms (master, kids/guest and a powder room)
- large eat in kitchen with walk-in pantry (white cabinets are a must so if need be we will paint them) and preferably in a great room layout
- a separate formal dining room
- a separate formal living room
- a playroom/craft room
- large closets
- a separate laundry room
- I would also love to have wood floors throughout (or at least in all the community areas and the master)
- not off a super busy street
- long driveway
- private back yard
- mature trees
- covered sitting front porch
- a generously sized back deck/patio
- additionally I would prefer lots of acreage with buildings for our animals and gardens/orchards (preferably already fenced)
Wow! When I put that all down on paper (or blog post) it sure does sound like something we aren't going to be able to find!! That's okay! I know the right house will come along when it's supposed to!
So what are some things on your next house wish list?