Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Patch

I haven't been very good at posting about our garden this year. We got a late start to it but were able to use our compost we have been "cooking" for the past three years and I think it's doing a pretty good job. It's a relief to have been able to use it and now we can start a new batch.

Since we were gone on our trip to Scotland and Ireland the weeds kinda took over the veg patch. I spent this morning getting half of it weeded and am looking forward to our bounty. 

We do crop rotation in our garden to try and make sure that our plants will produce and not get diseases. We also practice  organic farming, so no commercial fertilizers or pesticides. I have used beer catchers for our slug problem very successfully. 

This year we are growing some tried and true as well as some new crops. We have planted: cabbage, broccoli, kale, beans, peas, zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, radish, spinach, eggplant and pumpkins. 

Radish, pumpkin, and spinach. Volunteer sunflowers found their way into the garden again this year. 

The cabbage and broccoli 

Eggplant, beans, and cucumber 

Peas and kale

Zucchini, tomatoes and peppers

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely garden, Ash! You definitely have a green thumb. I wish we could have a garden without the deer feasting on everything (including roses).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading gardening posts! We have a small backyard organic garden as well! I'm not very good at posting updates for it either. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous! haha love the beer catchers =) I was just reading that tip for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great and so much variety!! Can't wait to have my own (probably way smaller) garden next year!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley