Thursday, December 26, 2013

Partidge in a Pear Tree

One thing I look forward to in the Christmas season are the 12 Days of Christmas.  Contrary to popular belief the 12 Days of Christmas are actually the 12 days AFTER Christmas, ending on "Epiphany" (January 6) or when the Wise Men found Jesus.  Upon my research there are 2 different ways to acknowledge the 12 Days, either starting on Christmas Day or the 26th of December.

Today is the First Day of Christmas:
A Partridge in a Pear Tree


 
The partridge in a pear tree is Jesus the Christ, the Son of God, whose birthday we celebrate on December 25, the first day of Christmas. In the song, Christ is symbolically presented as a mother partridge that feigns injury to decoy predators from her helpless nestlings, recalling the expression of Christ's sadness over the fate of Jerusalem: "Jerusalem! Jerusalem! How often would I have sheltered you under my wings, as a hen does her chicks, but you would not have it so . . . ." (Luke 13:34)


To read the devotional for this day click HERE.

I so enjoy doing this series and I hope you like it too!!



♥ Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley