Friday, July 12, 2013

[feast friday] cheesecake fruit pie

I went to the store the other day and they had such a great deal on blueberries I just had to get them and make a pie. I also picked up two plums and a handful of strawberries (since blueberries aren't my favorite). I thought it would be fun to try something different and have a cheesecake base for my pie.... BEST decision I have ever made!!



Pie Crust:  this is a tricky thing. I use my moms recipe but substitute butter since it works better for me, but this time I followed it correctly. The thing about pie crust is its an art. You have to work and practice and you will not always be successful but it will at least taste good!  Mine totally fell apart but made it work. 

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup crisco
1/3 sugar
Up to 5 Tbs ice cold water

Cut crisco into dry ingredients until is resembles crumbs then add in water 1 Tbs at a time until it comes together. Divide into two portions, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 min to overnight in the fridge. 

Once chilled roll out one portion to fit into your pie dish. Put back into fridge. Preheat oven to 400 F

Filling. I had to do some research but this is what I came up with and I can't wait to make it again!

Cheesecake:
One 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg

Beat together until smooth. 

Fruit filling:
3 to 4 cups blueberries
8 large strawberries (cut to blueberry size)
2 plums (cut to blueberry size)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
Zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
2 Tbs butter cut into small bits. 

Combine ingredients in bowl with wooden spoon until fully coated with sugar and cornstarch.

 Add mixture to pie shell on top of cream cheese layer. Dot with butter. Roll out remaining half of pie crust and top pie. Cut slits into top crust. (My dough broke so I just made a makeshift lattice- tasted fine). 

Bake in 400 F oven for 15-20 min. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake for additional 40-50 min. Let cool and enjoy plain, with whipped cream or a la mode!


- Ashley 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley