Colcannon is an Irish side dish of cabbage and potatoes. It was pretty good and I am looking forward to making it when Ellie gets older to sneak some veggies in.
1/2 a head of cabbage
1 pound of small red potatoes
1/2 an onion
1 Tbs butter
1 cup milk
1. Thinly slice onions and cabbage, set aside.
2. Scrub potatoes an slice in half. Then steam potatoes in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a covered pan for about 15 minutes. Then set aside but keep warm.
3. While potatoes are steaming melt butter in a tall sided skillet over medium heat then add onion and let brown slightly. Add in cabbage and let brown slightly (about 8 minutes).
4. Once cabbage is brownish reduce heat to low and add in milk, salt and pepper and let cabbage soften for about 8 minutes longer.
5. Combine potatoes and cabbage mixture and then mash with a potato masher to desired consistency and season with S&P to taste.